Maths in School
Our Approach to Mathematics
At Kirton Lindsey Primary we teach the mastery approach to mathematics.
• Deep and sustainable learning
• The ability to build on something that has already been sufficiently mastered
• The ability to reason about a concept and make connections
• Conceptual and procedural fluency
• The belief that all pupils can achieve
• Keeping the class working together so that all can access and master mathematics
• Development of deep mathematical understanding
• Development of both factual/procedural and conceptual fluency
• Longer time on key topics, providing time to go deeper and embed learning.
In each classroom you will see the use of marking stations to aid self-assessment and independent learning and challenge. Misconceptions are picked up and addressed before the next lesson is taught.
Assessment of Mathematics
We use the PUMA assessment tests to assess the children in Year 2 through to Year 6 on a termly basis. These tests give us a standardised score for each child along with strengths and difficulties which we analyse and use to plan the teaching and intervention support (if necessary) for the following term.
NEW FOR Autumn Term 2018
In Year 6 the children who are identified as consistently working above age related expectations across at least 3 past assessments will take the PUMA 6+ test at the end of each term. This will provide information for challenge for our most able mathematicians.
The curriculum requires a stronger grasp of mental arithmetic skills. To support and challenge this we implement the Rising Stars Mental Arithmetic Tests on a fortnightly basis. These tests progress through the year for children in Years 1- Year 6 and are linked to the objectives for their year group. The results are analysed by the maths leader and the data is showing a year on year growth in attainment within these tests.
Alongside these each child in Key Stage Two will participate in the Rock Star Maths programme on an annual basis.
This is a 20 week programme of times table practice culminating in a Rock Star Wrangle where the children with the fastest times tables recall across the whole programme battle it out for the title of Rock Star Wrangler.
For more information please check out our Curriculum Policies page.
To find resources to help support maths, please click on the documents below.